I swtitched the logging to debug mode and found that
the error was that I had the datastore set too small.
During the installation, it was suggested that 2500kb
(or something like that), so I typed in 2500. I
thought the number entered was in kilobytes. Looking
at the freenet.conf file, I found that it was in
bytes, not kilobytes. I set the number low to start
off, but I didn't mean for it to be THAT low.

Anyways, my suggestion to Ian: during installation,
specify the units entered when asking the question of
the storeSize.

Thanks everybody.

John