On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:59:13AM +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 05:27:37PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > For a while, for a long while actually, freenet builds have been working
> > without pegging my cpu meters at 100%... for whatever reason, build 535
> > likes doing absolutely absurd things to my load average. I can have no
> > activity for minutes and suddenly BAM! up to loadaverage 12 in seconds.
> > Whatever is going on is getting a little silly. :/
> Does it go back down again? How fast?
*IF* the program stops using the cpu, which can take entire minutes, it does
eventually go down. But while freenet is pegging the cpu, it's hanging between load
average 8 to 12.

A week ago when freenet would peg the cpu, the worst I'd see it get to is around load
average 5 - I haven't changed anything recently.
(Note: Freenet no matter what it's doing always pegs the cpu when it's in use, however
usually for a short time. This is normal on my
machine. What isn't, is the load average going whacko because freenet is *continuing*
to peg the cpu, and for long amounts of time -
instead of seconds, it takes sometimes minutes for the cpu to get a period where
freenet is idle.)

> > I'm running debian unstable (kernel 2.4.19) with sun's j2re1.4.1_01 and
> > freenet 535. I am using a K6-III 400 with 320MB of ram and a 512MB
> Maybe a bit slow.
True, but as I said above, the recent behavior has changed. I wouldn't be complaining
if it was the usual behavior.

I seriously wouldn't mind if this WAS normal behavior and the previous build or two
were malfunctioning... but I doubt that's the case.

> > Another thing. I noted this before, but nobody has replied about it in a
> > while... When I set bandwidth to 10000 or use the default using
> > BandwidthLimit in the configuration file, freenet does NOT limit itself
> > to using 10Kb/S - it winds up using my entire upstream (15Kb/S) more
> > than half  the time for uploading data. And I was not using other
> You have raw data on this?
'raw' as in what? What can I use to make a copy for you to see when it's doing this?

> > Finally, I tried using the independent bandwidth settings  for input and
> > output (inputBandwidthLimit and outputBandwidthLimit) - setting input to
> > 15000 and output to 5000 again, works.
> What happens if you set input to 15000 and output to 10000 ?
I have not tried that, but I will soon, perhaps tonight. It never occurred to me
actually.

> > Now don't forget that I'm currently running the 535 build and I've been
> > seeing this behavior since 532, which is when I first started using
> > freenet.
> Which behaviour? The bandwidth limiter not working behaviour or the high
> load behaviour?
Bandwidth limiter has been acting up since I started using freenet on build 532.

Thank you for your time.
Tim McGrath