From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 9:30 AM
Subject: [freenet-support] Re: [freenet-dev] Getting rid of the last central
point of failure

> >For a while now, we have been working on the distribution servlet, which
> >is basically designed to allow people to give copies of Freenet, together
> >with seednodes, to their friends
>
> erm - why? doesn't there exist some webinstallers? just bundle a
webinstaller (or even a webinstaller-installer) with your seednodes and mail
them away to
> the new user.
> hu will then receive this mail with some installing instructions/installer
files and can build up hus (sounds stupid :p) node.
> the needed jar files can be d/led fom /snapshots/, or, if you think this
may be potentially tainted somehow, d/led by a minimal-fred provided by the
installer
> from the freenet under a CHK or SSK-site, which will contain all releases
of fred, inserted by the developers.
> either way you will have a weak spot: the program that installs fred.
either it will report you to someone or download a modified fred and install
that one on
> your system. or you can not guarantee that your /snapshot/ files are
valid, if you point the new user to the url to let him download the files
all by himself.
> one possible way is to mirror the released snapshots and version within
freenet, so noone can touch them, but to be able to rerach them, you already
have
> to be able to access freenet, this speaks for a mini-fred, which will
download the files for you. but the miniinstaler can be tainted, too,
leaving you with a loop
> of possible weak points.
>
> i personally have no clue how you can make *sure* a user gets untainted
files if the user does not have already freenet access.

> maybe it would be wise to start a new site within freenet, which will
mirror the developers' cvs tree and snapshots *done by a  trusted person
(=devl)*, so one
> can be sure, the /snapshots/ files are not the only location to get one of
the newer builds (it is possible to modify streams from a webserver, so you
can be
> sure, it is possible to modify the response to your "get some file from
snapshots" in that way, that you will receive a modified fred which can harm
your
> anonymity)
>
> so at least you can make *sure* the user will stay "clean" if you start
inserting the snapshots within freenet and use a SSK'ed site to gather them,
too

> ---~~---
>
> geeh - i think i have to read my mails more often so i've got to add
something to General Discussion, nearly all of my topics have been adressed
so far by