On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 09:39:18AM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today i wanted to take a look at freenet but when i started it,
> it didn't get any data from the freenet network.

This is sadly a common first user situation.
Exactly what happened? Did you try to fetch the links on the Web
Interface page? Even under ideal conditions a node takes a while to
become fully functional (current estimates are around 24 hours for a
node to be reasonably useful).

> My freenet computer is behind a router that has a firewall.
> I configured it like the FAQ said, but still no sucess.
>
> Here is my network configuration:
> router local IP = 192.168.100.10
> router network device to the internet = ppp0
> router network device to the local net = eth0
> freenet computer IP in my local net = 192.168.100.8
> freenet port number = 23030
> Normally i get a dynmic ip address, but i solved that
> by manually giving the current internet ip of my router to the freenet
> programm at start time.

I note that you haven't showed the external internet address of the
router. Did you add it to the freenet.conf file?:
ipAddress=82.65.12.3
or
ipAddress=amphibian.dyndns.org
[ using dyndns is a common solution for such setups, they are a free
dynamic DNS provider, www.dyndns.org ]

Also, did you remove the % at the beginning of the line?

> Those are the iptables firewall rules i used for accesing freenet:
> iptables -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT -o ppp0 -p tcp \
>                 -s 192.168.100.8 --sport 1024: --dport 23030 -m state --state
> NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED
>
> iptables -A FORWARD  -j ACCEPT -i ppp0 -p tcp \
>                 --sport 23030 -d 192.168.100.8 -m state --state
> ESTABLISHED,RELATED
>
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport 23020 -j DNAT --to-dest
> 192.168.100.8

Ok. Tell me your IP address and I will check connectivity. Or come to
#freenet on irc.freenode.net, we will see if we can help you.

> Everything else is closed (typicall services like http, smp etc. is allowed of
> course). Because the FAQ speaks only about TCP the UDP protocoll is
> not alloed on this port number 23030.

That's correct.

> I also tried it by adding the following rules to the ones above:
> iptables -A FORWARD  -j ACCEPT -i ppp0 -p tcp \
>                 --dport 23030 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED
> iptables -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT -o ppp0 -p tcp \
>                 --sport 23030 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED
>

> Can someone tell me what is wrong with that?
> Where is the mistake in the firewall rules?

I do not know if it is a firewall rules problem. Check the Open
Connections page, do you have incoming connections?