> I upgraded to version 5046 yesterday, and now I always get the error
> message:

> "Couldn't connect to the network. Are you sure you have configured
> Freenet correctly? Also make sure that you are connected to the
> internet."

> I have not changed anything in my configuration, and I am connected to
> the internet. Is the network down, or could this be a bug in 5046?

For those of you who have tried reseeding, updating, and everything else and just want the darn thing to work, your best bet is to go to the unstable branch. Take the following steps to do so:

1) Shut down Freenet completely
3) Download freenet-unstable-latest.jar
4) Download unstable.ref
5) Rename freenet-unstable-latest.jar to freenet.jar
6) Rename unstable.ref to seednodes.ref
7) Copy both of the renamed files into your Freenet folder, overwriting the existing files
8) Run Freenet, give it a few hours to reintegrate

Caveat Warning for Windows users - You can't use the webinstaller to update unstable (at least last I checked). If you use the webinstaller, it will send you right back to the stable branch. To update, you'll have to run through the steps I've outlined here once again, though you probably will not need to get the .ref file again.