I've limited the amount of connections my node can make to 50.  I don't know
how this effects the network, how it effects my node's ability find files or
anything, all I know is this keeps freenet from eating all of my system's
resources.  Please tell me if their is a better way.

Anyway, something I found interesting was:

$  netstat | grep -c tcp
370

The vast majority of these connections HAVE to be related to freenet.  I only
run a couple of other services that access the net on this box.  the "open
connections" page shows that there are fifty connections, but netstat gives
something different entirely.  why is that?  I could stop freenet to see how
this figure changes, but I'm sure that i wouldn't drop anywhere near 370
connections.

question number 2:

"netstat | grep tcp" shows a grip of connections that don't use the port that
I designated for incoming connections.  The port numbers seem almost
completely random.  I assume that these are OUTGOING connections, and this is
normal, but I just wanted to be sure.

question number 3:

when I update my seed refs from the website, where do these refs come from?
from someone's node?

question number 5:

As my node "learns" more about the network, it "meets" a lot of other nodes.
Does Fred automatically change seednodes.ref as time goes by?  do I need to
manually save all of these new refs?  How can I do this?

question number 6:

I'm pretty new to freenet, and I really haven't been able to use it to
retrieve very much yet. I get the impression that until recently, the network
ran a lot smoother than it is now.  one of the posts here seemed to say that
If i ran freenet w/o the NG routing, things would run a little smoother.  is
this true?  Is NGR really working?  is there any evidence that it actually
speeds things up yet?

I know that's a lot of question, thanks for taking the time.

-Steve