-----Original Message-----
Message: 8
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:28:03 -0800
From: "Art Charbonneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [freenet-support] Freenet is fading away...
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I'm a johnny-come-lately to Freenet, and I guess I came along a little too
>late to see it in action. It's sad, but Freenet seems to be fading away;
>fewer links work every day, and those that do have little content left.

>I've tried the boards at Frost, but other than a few testers, nonsense
>posters, and idiot flamers, there is no one there either. Reasonable
>questions posted to the Newbie Help board go unanswered by anyone, and
>searches find only 'offline' stuff.

>I think Reskill has summed it up pretty well. Ain't it a shame? I'll
>continue to run a node and provide some storage for a while, but the time
>will come, shortly, to shut it down for good. Will the last one out get the
>lights?

Gee Art, that is a very pessimistic wiev of the future - overly so, I think.
There is no doubt that the respected founders of Freenet made a major
strategic blunder as they - in a well meaning effort to upgrade the
technology - introduced a series of "updates" that ground everything to a
halt and basically stopped Freenet right in its tracks, where it has now
been standing for the better part of a year.
An approach like this is bound to drive all the normal users and content
providers away, leaving only hardcore techies and strong freedom-of-speech
believers to hold the torch.
The right way to do it (20/20 hindsight is so easy :-)would have been, to
fork out development in stable/unstable a long time ago, and keep the stable
release the last well working version (that would be from around March 2003
or something), and never ever introduce a new version unless it was 100%
sure to improve performance - or, at least, not degrade it. Surely it must
be possible to upgrade a network without shutting it down for years.
But all that being said, I have no doubt that the developers are working
hard to bring everything back to speed and I am confident that the end
result will be an even better network than the one we "lost" in the
beginning of the year. And once things are running smoothly again, the
normal users will return, because Freenet is more needed than ever and it
has no competitors - there really isnt anything like it.
So hang in there Art. It is not a death you are witnessing - it is a
(re)birth...

Regards,