I have just started a new node on my SuSE box without any problems.

1) Download tarball.
2) gunzip/tar -vxf
3) cd freenet
4) ./preconfig.sh
5) edit freenet.conf (add ipAddress, and storeSize)
6) forward the freenet listen port on my NAT box
7) ./update.sh
8) ftp over a seed nodes file from another machine
9) ./start-freenet.sh

Note:  If you're not running behind a NAT box or firewall, you can skip step 6.  You
can most likely skip step 5 too, unless you want a larger datastore (which you should
do, I use storeSize=4096M).  Last I heard there was some issues with default
seednodes, so step 8 may be the key with a new install at the moment.  I don't know of
a graceful way to getting a fresh seednodes file at the moment tho.