>From the first row in your log file

'0.5 node, build #5078 on JVM Sun Microsystems Inc.:Java HotSpot(TM)
Client VM:1.4.0-b92'

Seems like your are running a beta of the 1.4.0 JVM..

1. There are known bugs in the 1.4.0 networking IO code, please upgrade
2. There can be any kind of bugs in a beta JVM, please upgrade.

I recommend that your upgrade your JVM to v1.4.2_03 (DON'T upgrade to
the 1.5 beta though). Download it from java.sun.com

If this doesn't make things work better for you please tell us.

Cheers
/N