Phillip Hutchings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What would be nice (in lieu of being able to prefer certain IP ranges - I
> get local traffic far cheaper) would be a way to limit monthly transfer,
> eg set it so the node can use 5GB/month, and it'll aim for a daily
> transfer of about 170MB, but will go over if it needs to. I guess this
> would also mean that the size of incoming files would need to be limited.
>
> Unfortunately I can't try to hack this myself just yet, but I have some
> free time coming up, so I might look at it then, see if I can find where
> to do the limiting. I knew Java knowledge would come in handy :P
>
> So for now my node is offline. I've lowered my rate limiting to 500
> bytes/sec to keep things under control, but I'm waiting for my ISPs
> traffic information to come back online...

Toad: feel free to comment on point 3:

Phillip, since we're in the same country with similar issues, I'd like to share
my thoughts and see where we can go with this. Feel free to email me directly.

1. My experience is that I can get a limit of 5 Gb of *international* traffic a
month (170 Mb a day) with Node bandwidth limits of
Overall 0
Output 750
Input 0

Yup, a limit of 750 bytes per second. I need to experiment more with the
Overall setting. Freenet is the single most effective utility I have found
for consuming bandwidth. Better than BitTorrent.

When the bandwidth level drops this low I get a lot of what I characterise as
"churn". The messageSendTimeRequest shoots up - I guess because messages can't
get out fast enough through the small output channel. So then my node rejects
incoming connections, but it's still sending outgoing requests (albeit slowly)
so I'm rejecting these replies to my requests because my messageSendTimeRequest
is so high. I suspect a lot of things get retried. I suspect my efficiency is
low. But it works, and keeps me in the bandwidth cap.

2. I really suspect that more serious bandwidth limiting should be done at an
operating system (router) level rather than at the Freenet level. I suspect
that's what you'll be told around here. That way you can also take account of
things happening other than your node. :-)

So I've been working towards a Linux traffic shaper that gives sets no limits
on traffic with domestic IP addresses and limits international traffic so the
total monthly limit hits 5 Gb (my cap).

3. What I don't know is how my Freenet node will respond when some (domestic)
IPs get a high bandwidth (8,000 k/s) and other (international) IPs get a low
bandwidth (0.75 k/s). I guess  my node will always give a constant
recommendation for how much traffic it wants, and this will oscillate wildly
according to how many domestic versus international nodes are connecting. I'm
*hoping* domestic nodes will learn that it is worthwhile connecting to me, but
they may be put off by the average they get. I don't know. Someday when Toad is
bored maybe he could put his fine mind to at least thinking about the impacts
of this bandwidth disparity and how a node configuration could be set to handle
this.

It may be that this scenario ( maix of low and high bandwidth channels into a
node) is relatively uncommon worldwide, and isn't worth coding for, but I
wonder how common it is, and whether it may become more common.

Comments welcome.