On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 05:39:34PM +0200, Troed S?ngberg wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:51:20 -0400, Jay Oliveri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >1) Fred takes too much CPU and RAM because it's written in Java.
>
> I hate this depate.
>
> It's true that object orienting uses up (a few) more bytes than non-OO
> programming, but that's trivial compared to the structuring you (can) get
> with OO vs non-OO.

Absolutely, virtual pointers are well worth the cost.

> JIT Java (which we're all running) is also very speedy, there's only a few
> rare instances where it's worth the trouble to replace code with something
> natively instead.

Debatable. But most of the problems with Java come from the fact that it
is non-free IMHO. If and when freenet works on GCJ, we benefit from:
1. Reduced CPU usage due to better optimization and no compilation at
run time.
2. Reduced memory usage for the same reason.
3. Increased performance for BigInteger operations such as crypto; 5-10x
faster using the free GMP library than Sun's proprietary implementation.

> On the other hand, it's quite easy to lose control with object creation,
> and to forget how to help the GC do the work most efficiently. That has
> nothing to do with Java in itself though.

Well, Java does tend to produce a lot of object churn. But even if I was
doing a project the size of Freenet in C++ I would find a GC very
useful. Explicit deallocation support would *occasionally* be useful.