>Anyone know the answer to that part of the question?  Perhaps related by
my
> >multiple browsers on my system???  Maybe they are arguing with each
other.
> >Or has the 'host' been down more often than usual??
>
> Have you tried running the update programme as an administrator?  It may
> be a permission problem, as windows does not seem to let ordinary users
> do various network related things.  Sorry to be imprecise, I've never
> looked into what is actually happening, just run things as
> administrator.

That did not solve it.  It appears, but I can't prove it, that Mozilla with
EarthLink TotalAccess front end is unable to foreward request by the
Windows installer for Freenet.  By manually confirming I had killed all
copies of Mozilla 1.6 I was able to download the new Freenet release using
the Win-Installer provided by FreeNet.

But thanks for the suggestion, it lead me into trying some different
attacks.

N.