David Masover wrote:

Toad wrote:

| No, if you can do that, then you can portscan for Freenet nodes. That's
| a REALLY bad idea. You need to use some sort of seednodes mechanism.

Why is that a bad idea?  If a government is paranoid enough, they can
just put devices all over which block any crypted traffic.

Some sort of way for an effective seednodes file to be chosen or built
quickly, then.

|>Obviously clients should be able to override that, but I think that fast
|>node connection is feasable, if "The Network (TM)" was fast enough.
|

| Maybe so. But we want them to be USEFUL to the network. That won't
| happen if they're only up for 5 minutes.

They are useful if they make it more popular.  Suppose there is some
lag, say, 30 seconds to a minute to get an effective seednodes.ref.  On
top of that, such a node probably wouldn't be able to have a terribly
big cache.  Then there's incentive for people to whine for permanent
nodes, and it wouldn't be too long before these Public Access Internet
Terminals (or whatever hype word they use now) start being preloaded
with Freenet.

When governments gets involved in censorship, it is not usually that they are paranoid, but that they want the power to control.
Sometimes to control the masses, but more often just to control the unloyal opposition, or those who simply disagree with them.