vinyl1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Every time we download a new release,
> we hope this will be the one and all the content will zip to our machines with
> lightening speed.

Ok, forgive me if this has been discussed before (and please point me to this
discussion), but I've been wondering what are realistic expectations of speed?

There is a set of nodes, hoepfully well connected, but all with finite
bandwidth connections. There is some data I'd likem to retrieve, located
(hopefully) at one or more nodes in a set of finite sized datastores.

It seems NG Routing was introduced to help mediate what I'd over-simplify as
people trying to pull out more than they put in.

So this prompts my borader question: we're pooling bandwidth and data storage in
a large, cryptographically securish network. We're expecting a certain
performance from that network. What sort of speed do we expect from that
network? If the collective data stores are too small, and the collective
bandwidths too limited, then won't we see limited transfers? (Forgive me if
this states the obvious).

Are we not seeing lightening speeds simply because Freenet as a whole is
underresourced. That maybe this is as good as it gets without more nodes
with more resources?

Has anyone done any modelling? Any ideas? Any comments? What is a reasonable
expectation of Freenet performance right now? Any way to tell? Lower or
upper bounds?

I for one am very happy with what Freenet delivers and see it getting
better steadily albeit with occasional missteps. But my expectations may be
unreasonably low.

I request information and shortly thereafter it arrives (or often immediately)
and in what I'm lead to believe is a relative anonymous way. I like it.