On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 06:56:49PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have managed to start a node on my vServer, but how can I control if and
> how it runs? The stats-directory only contains a lot of files with numbers in
> it.
>
> And a few questions to the server: I don't know much about such things until
> now. OS is Suse 8.2.
>
> 1. I want to make my server secure, of course. Can the server only be
> attacked via the services which are running (e.g. ftp or mail)?
>  Does that mean: If I delete most entries in inetd.conf , the server can only
> be attacked via the remaining services?
> Or can there also be "holes" in the OS (which would mean I have to update all
> the time?)?

There can be holes in either. You need to update from time to time.

> 2. How save is freenet itself? Do I have to configure iptables, or does
> freenet take care of attacks and so on?

Reasonably safe, we believe, but it could be that there are exploitable
errors we have missed, in freenet or in the JVM. Give it its own user,
if you can.

> 3. I have 30GB traffic. Is it better to use a constant bandwith of 7,5kb up
> and down, or should I use higher limits and a shorter up-time of the node
> (luckily, I do have a hardlimit!! ;-) )?

Hrrm. You'll need to be careful with that... don't put the limits too
close to the maximum, since there will be overhead traffic such as your
connection to it. And the bwlimiting isn't perfect.

> 4. Could I even use my server as some kind of proxy to be able to use freenet
> on my home-pc?

Yes. Just ssh tunnel port 8888 and 8481 (man ssh).