On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 21:30 -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> > > I use 25, and let the network reduce it as it sees fit.  MaxHTL
> > > (what the network reduces HTL to) is something like 20 these days.
> >
> > I had positive results inserting with htl=6 in stable.
> >

> > > Someone else would likely have something better to say about that.
> >
> > I really hope so.... ;)
> >
> > Ciao.   Marco
>
> I follow the advice given by FIW (the Freesite Insertion Wizard), i.e.,
> for DBR sites, use a lower HTL (say, 15) than for an edition site or a
> "one-shot" site (where you may want to use, say, 25).  This makes sense,
> and seems to work well enough.

There is the trade-off with the overall time spent.

Big site, in the range 50-500 Mb, requires 3-5 days and half
 a dozen of fiw restart, because it give varius kind of error
 & memory/connection leaks (in fact can be fred, not fiw, who knows)

> The reasoning behind this is that the more frequently a site's data is
> updated, the less need for very deep insertions, as much of the data
> will be unchanged from one insert to the next, therefore a certain
> amount of redundancy is involved, resulting in an automatic
> "reinforcement" of the data within the network.
>
> Less frequently inserted data, on the other hand, basically only gets
> one chance to "take", and will benefit from the deeper insertion (God,
> this sounds dirty, doesn't it?), distributing the data as far as
> possible into the network initially, helping it to later disseminate to
> other nodes more easily.
>
> Of course, there are other factors to consider as well.  Some of
> the more popular edition/one-shot sites may be accessed much more
> frequently than some DBR sites, thereby helping the data to propagate
> throughout the network, whereas some less popular DBR sites may actually
> benefit from deeper insertion.
>
> It's not a perfect science; there are really no hard-and-fast rules.
> Just common sense and good judgement, basically, combined with how long
> you're willing to wait for your inserts to complete.  :-)

Me or the mankind ?   ;)

There is the limit of the proton half-life 8)
Seriously, changing from htl 6/10 to htl 25 how much
 affect insert time, in your experience ?

Ciao.   Marco

--

"Oggi e' il domani di cui ci dovevamo preoccupare ieri."