Jon,

I tried all of your suggestions without success.

Go to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/ and delete the 1.4.2 folder.

Removed and deleted the folder, could not empty trash because a file was in use so I had to restart the computer and then empty trash.

I also edited these files to say 1.4.1 instead of 1.4.2.
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info-macos.plist
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist

I did not find references to 1.4.2 but rather to 2.0.0. I changed them to 1.4.1. When I asked what version Java (java -version) response was that java could not be found

If that doesn't work, then download the 1.4.1 installer after you do all that and reinstall.

After all that I tried to reinstall 1.4.1 but the installer says a later version exists. So some reference to JavaVM 1.4.2 still remains somewhere in the system. I restored the 1.4.2 folder, but not changing the resource files again, Java came back and I was able to run Freenet (for an hour).

Downgrading a framework is not easy on MacOSX!

Thank you,
--
Mel Charters