maxigas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> hi!
>
> i'm a linux/freenet newbie (i had freenet for 2 weeks on XP previously). 2
> questions
>
> 1. i ran  "ebuild /usr/portage/net-p2p/freenet/freenet-0.5.2.1-r8.ebuild
> config" and it downloaded all the files via HTTP and then ended with the
> usual gratulations BUT haven't asked me anything else after the HTTP
> downloads. i think it had to have had asked me for memory usage and
> threads and all that thrill, no?

I've never used the ebuild personally, but that sounds like it should work.

> 2. i think i could get freenet working, but all the documentation suggests
> that there should be more lines in my conf file. isn't that so?
>
> GNU nano 1.3.7                         File: /etc/freenet.conf
>
> ipAddress=xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx
> listenPort=xxxx
> seedFile=/var/freenet/seednodes.ref
> logFile=/var/freenet/freenet.log
> storeFile=/var/freenet/store
> diagnosticsPath=/var/freenet/stats
> routingDir=/var/freenet
> nodeFile=/var/freenet/node
>
> thx for any input,

Yes, freenet.conf should have rather more in it than that :
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/freenet $ wc -l freenet.conf
  865 freenet.conf

Personally I would unmerge the ebuild and just download a tarball
(http://freenetproject.org/snapshots/freenet-latest.tgz), unzip it somewhere,
then you should be able to generate a full configuration the 'normal' freenet
way. Stop the node if it's running, delete or rename your freenet.conf then run
./start-freenet.sh and answer the prompts. Be aware it might take a while to
carry on after the first couple of questions (because it has to start freenet in
a special configuration mode).

Good luck,
Bob