Matthew Exon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Bob wrote:
>
> > I'd recommend looking at Ubuntu (or
> > kUbuntu which uses KDE and is therefore a bit more windows-like), Fedora
> > Core
> > and similar.
>
> As far as Java goes, Ubuntu doesn't come with Java out of the box,
> although there are at least some fairly clear instructions for
> installing it:

Well no, but the last I heard no distros did apart from Sun's "Java desktop"
thing and Novell/Suse's enterprise edition, due to Sun's astonishingly stupid
redistribution policies. However recently that *finally* changed ("you may
redistribute either the JDK or Java 2 Runtime Environment with your software."
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/runtime.html) so perhaps there are others now.

Since it only covers bundling with your apps you still have to manually download
it from Sun's official site if you just want to install it on its own or
upgrade, proving that Sun's management are still morons. Hmm, technically you
could "bundle" it with a 1kb HelloWorld.jar to get it on distro mirrors, I
wonder if anyone has tried this :) It could be genuinely useful too, the package
system could run it post-install to verify the install ...

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Java
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto
>
> Fedora Core doesn't either.  It comes with some scary-looking warnings
> about what can go wrong if you try to install it the wrong way, and
> terrible instructions:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/#id2503931

Personally I don't like Red Hat and have never used FC. I mentioned it because
it appears to be fairly popular as a "normal user" distro and from screenshots
I've seen of the unified desktop it looks pretty friendly/usable for such
people. My primary recommendation would still be Ubuntu/kUbuntu though.

Bob