Hi,

As many of you might have noticed, the Freenet wiki had been offline for
several weeks now. I turns out that the reason behind this was a site-wide
database upgrade from mysql 3 to mysql 4 at Sourceforge, which broke many
things.

The bad news is that, apparently, there is no way to get at the data from the
old wiki again. It's lost.

The good news is that nextgens has set up a new (empty wiki), this time
independent from sourceforge. The new wiki can be found at
http://wiki.freenetproject.org and uses the same software (Wakka)
that the old one used.

While we're on the subject, I think the choice of Wiki software needs to be
reevaluated, and soon. In my opinion, the software has too many small and
annoying bugs and shortcomings. Considering how little I've actually used it
the first time around (it wasn't around for very long, after all), I've been
confronted with cryptic error messages and unpredictable and illogical
behavior far too often. Also, I think that the markup this wiki uses is among
the least logical and useful I've seen yet.

I'd like to ask everyone who reads me to try out the new wiki (in the sandbox)
and post their opinions here, maybe accompanied with suggestions for
alternatives.

My personal suggestions for alternatives are:

- MoinMoin
This is a simple and very reliable wiki engine that is used by quite a number
of people, among them freedesktop.org. It is highly customizable and its
popularity makes it likely that newcomers will already be familiar with its
markup.
It doesn't use a db but instead stores its data in flat-files, which the
freenet devs frown upon.

- MediaWiki
This is the wiki that runs wikipedia.org. It uses mysql as the backend.
Everybody who has ever used Wikipedia will know his or her way around this
one.

        Guido