Shaun Burnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello Freenet Guru's,
>
> I've been trying for the last few weeks to get a Freenet node working
> on Win Xp (SP 2), and although I'm not networking champion, I think
> I've done everything I should.  I've opened up the correct port in my
> ADSL Modem / Router / Firewall and yet I still can't get anywhere.
> Even when I switch to Dial up, I still have the same trouble, which
> is, when I open the Gateway it says Build 5106 and stops at 5%, unless
> I keep hitting refresh in which I can get it go to 40% before the
> refresh refuses to have any further effect.
>
> I've got the DNS update service running (non static IP) and have put
> that in the config file.
> I've changed the max number of connections, but have since forgotten
> what I changed it to; it was to a recommendation I read somewhere on
> the Wiki.
> I've also tried to download the latest seednode info from
> http://www.freenetproject.org/snapshots/ and also using the "update
> Snapshot" program, which downloads the Jaw update fine but times-out
> every single attempt on the seednode update part.  Any attempt to
> download the seednode update always times-out.

Did you use a recent installer? If it's an old one, UpdateSnapshot might be
trying to grab seednodes.ref uncompressed and from somewhere it isn't anymore.
If it's a slightly less old installer it might be an issue with coralCDN latency
and short timeouts.

Either way, it should work fine with the latest UpdateSnapshot ... you can get
just that from http://bob.sdf-eu.org/freenet/UpdateSnapshot.exe, or download a
new installer and use that. (I help maintain the official installers though so
if you don't trust me you're screwed either way ;)

-- big performance data snip --

The problem is you have no connections, incoming or outgoing. You appear to only
have 2 node references, both of them presumably uncontactable, so I think your
seednodes.ref file is a tiny truncated one. Try updating with the latest
UpdateSnapshot linked above, or if you'd prefer for the time being manually
download a new one to e.g. c:\Program Files\Freenet\ from one of the zipped
copies at http://downloads.freenetproject.org/seednodes/, and overwrite your
presumably tiny one with it.

Bob