How can I tell if I have the latest version of 0.5 branch installed?
The information I get in the web interface is as follows:

Node Version    0.5
Protocol Version        STABLE-1.51
Build Number    5107
CVS Revision    1.90.2.50.2.134

How about the version of JVM? I'm currently using 1.4.2_10-b03 and I
know it's far from being the latest. Should I update it? If so, will
my 0.5 still work on an updated environment?

However, I'm a little confused as per which thing to download at
http://java.sun.com/
I haven't been around there for a while and there's been some
redecorating going on. ;)
Or do I just download the "Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 10" from
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
?