On Saturday 26 April 2008 02:43, Jim Cook wrote:
> As far as I know, I don't know anyone running Freenet, so I'm running 
> in insecure/promiscuous mode.  Freenet kindly warns me that others 
> can therefore identify my node and attack it.  However, although I've 
> read the FAQ and googled some, I'm not clear what sorts of attacks 
> are possible, other than knowing which sites I've visited.

Lots. Read the wiki, start with the security page:
http://wiki.freenetproject.org/FreenetZeroPointSevenSecurity
> 
> Freenet also reminds me to forward UDP ports XXXXX and XXXX because 
> I'm behind a NAT, and so other nodes behind symmetrical NATs can't 
> connect to my node.  However, Freenet seems to be working OK in that 
> I'm connected to ca. 13 nodes.  I currently don't forward any ports 
> through my hardware firewall, and I hesitate to do so without 
> understanding the security implications.

The result of forwarding the UDP ports is that Freenet can accept incoming 
connections from nodes which it isn't already sending a packet to. This is 
necessary for:
- Connecting to any node on a dynamic IP address. (You may still be able to 
connect, but only if the node manages to connect to one of its other peers 
and ARKs are working).
- Connecting to any node behind a symmetric firewall/NAT.
- Being a seednode.
> 
> I'd appreciate suggestions for further reading re both issues.
> 
> Thanks again.

Attachment: pgpQVW7g77edV.pgp
Description: PGP signature

_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
[email protected]
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.support
Unsubscribe at http://emu.freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/support
Or mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to