Thank you again, Matthew (and Volodya) for your patience with my
naive questions.  Regarding the Firefox issue, I've found a Win BAT
file <http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_Tips_Multiple_Fx.html> that
facilitates running multiple instances with different profiles.

I've had a node up on a Win NT box for ca. 24 hours in promiscuous
mode.  It's connected to ca. 20 nodes, and is slow but
acceptably-responsive.  When I'm not browsing, input and output rates
are 16.1 KiB/sec and 18.6 KiB/sec respectively.  Although output
tends to mirror input, there are frequent output spikes that seem to
originate from my node.  In other words, my node seems to be working.

I haven't seen anything (in the security links that you've posted, or
elsewhere) about gaining admin access to other nodes via Freenet.  I
can't imagine that y'all haven't considered this in coding
Freenet.  So I'm being unreasonably paranoid, right?  Of course,
there's always the risk of downloading malware (or getting it from my ISP =-O).

Yesterday, I also had a node up for ca. 12 hours on Ubuntu 7.10 in
VMware Player.  Before I trashed it and went to sleep, it was
connected to ca. 15 nodes, and seemed happy.  However, although I
added this node and my Win NT node to each other as trusted peers,
they never connected.  Is that a consequence of running in
promiscuous mode?  How do I tell them to connect?

I have a relatively underutilized Win SBS 2003 server, and I'm
thinking of setting up a node in Ubuntu/VMware via a dedicated
physical NIC.  And I'm thinking of running in nonpersistent mode, so
that the node and all traces of its activity are lost when I shut it
down.  Would that be problematic for Freenet, if the node were up for
at least a few weeks per instance?

Also, I'd appreciate guidance re optimal CPU, memory, storage and
bandwidth settings.  The server has two 3.6 GHz Xeons and 4 Gb RAM,
and I could spare 100 Gb RAID 10 storage and maybe 50 KiB/sec output bandwidth.

=
Jim Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>