> I am contemplating trying out the new salted-hash datastore. I read that
> it requires double the amount of space as the size of datastore to do
> the conversion and i'm sure it will be a time-consuming event, so I will
> wait for a few days when I have some free time.
> toad did mentioned in another thread that it may reduce the "thrashing"
> that the Berkeley DB was doing on my old dead drive. I'm not sure what
> killed my 2 year old SATA drive that was dedicated purely to my freenet
> node, but I'm leaning toward the constant cycle of creating and deleting
> 40,000 odd files upon each re-start. That' gotta take it's toll after a
> few years of that so maybe the other model of DB will work better. It's
> worth a try IMOH because I don't want to have to go through re-doing the
> node if another hard drive craps out.

If you say that you have for the most part lost your datastore than you should
do the change sooner rather than later. Personally i have changed after
completely losing the whole store, as i had nothing to lose at the time, and i
am very satisfied with the way salted-hash worked for me.

--
http://freedom.libsyn.com/       Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast
http://eng.anarchopedia.org/     Anarchopedia, A Free Knowledge Portal

  "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin