On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Matthew Toseland
<t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 May 2009 14:43:59 Victor Denisov wrote:
>> Matthew Toseland wrote:
>> > This is the downside of db4o. If it is a widespread problem, we're gonna
> have
>> > to revert it. Which means throwing away more than 6 months work largely
>> > funded by Google's $18K.
>>
>> I think that using a database is a good idea (although I personally
>> would've opted for a relational database such as Derby). So I'd prefer
>> to try and understand and fix the issue rather than hiding from it :-).
>>
>> > My database queue is usually pretty empty, even with queued downloads, but
>> > have 8G and fast mirrored disks...
>>
>> The problem's that Freenet *doesn't* even use the amount of memory I
>> provide it with (I'm yet to see it use more than 120 megs out of 320 I
>> allow for the heap). I'd be willing to dedicate as much memory as
>> required if only it'd help.
>>
>> My hard drives are nothing special - 250Gb 7200 RPM Seagate ones, 16 Mb
>> cache, SATA2, no NCQ - though definitely not the slowest out there. I
>> see ~35 Mb/s read speed and ~28 Mb/s write speed for medium-sized files
>> and ~5 Mb/s to 8 Mb/s for small files in the tests I'd done. I'll
>> probably have to test the same from inside Java to make absolutely sure
>> that it's not some weird JVM issue on my platform, though.
>>
>> > 2650 handles is strange, on unix we are generally limited to 1024 and
>> > generally we don't exceed that. Both of your problems may be caused by
> flaky
>> > hardware, but frankly we do need to run on flaky real world hardware. :|
>>
>> I don't have Freenet running right now, will check it later. But I2P is
>> using 2670 handles right now, and Azureus uses 1450 - so 2600 for
>> Freenet is definitely nothing out of the ordinary on Windows. Oh, and
>> the highest handle user on my machine is MySQL, which uses ~69000
>> handles and works absolutely fine :-).

>> > This just confirms that disk I/O is the problem ... and almost certainly
>> > caused by db4o as it goes away if nothing is queued.
>>
>> My thinking exactly. Would providing you with a snapshot of CPU/memory
>> performance under YourKit Profiler (I have academic licenses for both
>> 7.5 and 8.0, IIRC) or VisualVM (which is now a part of the JDK
>> distributive) on my machine help? Any logging I can turn on to help?
>> BTW, I have logging set to ERROR for now, as with NORMAL level it logs
>> ~2Mb per minute, adding noticeably to overall disk contention.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Victor Denisov.
>
> One other thing, for both you and Juiceman:
> How's the CPU usage? Given how much RAM you have I would expect node.db4o to
> be cached in memory (how big is it?). But doing a read through the OS to the
> OS disk cache may cost a lot of CPU (context switch etc) ... Is there a lot
> of CPU usage for the freenet process? To the point that it might be the cause
> of the poor overall system performance? And how much CPU usage is system?

Freenet CPU usage fluctuates between 2 and 27% of a quad core system.
The rest of the machine rarely uses more than 15% unless I am gaming,
then it still only hits 50%.  CPU usage is quite acceptable for now.
I have 3GB of RAM, 512 allocated to Freenet.

--
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the
death, your right to say it. - Voltaire