DJ's Box wrote:
>> Correct, 0,5 is very small due to the fact that new people do not join it
>> (because of the security vulnerabilities and other things) and people who
>> have
>> used it in the past have mostly migrated to 0,7.
>

> But _that_ small? So there's only like 30-40 people on the whole
> planet that user 0.5 at this point (judging by the average number of
> connections on my node)? Sounds a little too small to believe...
> Is there a list of "security vulnerabilities and other things"
> available somewhere?

Actually, I believe that there's still quite a few people using 0.5.  A
couple months ago I had a disk problem that resulted in my deleting all
of my routing table files and starting from scratch.  After two months
of running 0.5 24/7 here's my node's view of the 0.5 network:

http://127.0.0.1:8888/servlet/nodestatus/version_data.txt

# Histogram of node versions in fred's Routing table
# Sep 3, 2009 7:50:25 PM
# nodes: 1271
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5100       5
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5101       5
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5102       9
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5103       1
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5104       1
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5105       16
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5106       328
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5107       168
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5108       78
Fred,0.5,STABLE-1.51,5109       648
Fred,0.6,1.51,60275             3
Fred,0.6,1.51,60276             6
Fred,0.6,1.51,60277             2
unknown                         1

I can also say that the freenet 0.5 packages on my unofficial 0.5 mirror
are still being downloaded frequently.  Builds 5107 and 5109 averaging
around 50 to 60 downloads per month.

I believe the 0.5 network to actually be growing, not shrinking.  It's
slow growth to be sure but it's growth nonetheless.

- --
The best way to get past my spam filter is to sign or encrypt
your email to me.
My PGP KeyId: 0x84D46604
http://blogdoofus.com
http://tinfoilchef.com
http://www.domaincarryout.com
Un-official Freenet 0.5 alternative download
http://peculiarplace.com/freenet/
Mixminion Message Sender, Windows GUI Frontend for Mixminion
http://peculiarplace.com/mixminion-message-sender/