Freenet 0.7.5 build 1250 is now available. It will be mandatory on the 15th.
Changes:
- Fix a bug which resulted in inserted data being cached locally in the
client-cache. It's not supposed to be cached at all on the inserting node. If
you think your computer might get seized and the data you have inserted might
incriminate you, please wipe your client-cache (e.g. by deleting the files in
datastore/ containing the term "clientcache"). Also if your insert was
configured to write to the client-cache it may have been written to the
datastore, in which case the inserted data may be remotely probeable, but this
could only happen if you did an FCP insert and your client explicitly enabled
writing the insert to the client cache.
- Much improved support for USKs. USKs are an updateable key whose latest
version is tracked by the node, but at the client layer, in a somewhat
unreliable way. When you visit a USK-based freesite, fred searches for the next
version in the background; eventually we will provide a way for it to tell you
when it finds one. You can ask it to do a search for the latest version by
changing the edition number to be negative; this will take some time. Bookmarks
also rely on this, as does Freetalk, and ARKs. Some major improvements in this
build to USKs:
-- The first time you visit a USK, we probe the datastore for later editions.
-- Cheaper (by doing fewer requests) *and* faster (by doing random fetches of
future editions) searches.
-- Faster pick-up of the next few editions if we are subscribed to a USK and we
have the latest version already and are waiting for the next version to
inserted, using ULPRs.
-- We insert edition hints based on the current date (year, month, week and
day) when we insert a USK. This has been planned for years and will enable us
to quickly find the latest version if the edition we have is way out of date.
We don't yet use these hints, that will be implemented later.