On 22.10.2010 1:21, Daniel Stork wrote:
Would someone be so kind as to offer a bit of advice about tweaking freenet.

I seriously do not understand what it is doing.

Freenet is currently averaging about 500K / sec down and 130 k /sec up.
I limited the upload to 128 k, so the uploads make sense.

Unless you explicitely state the download limit it will use 4 times as much as upload, so 130 * 4 = 520. I have never seen such speeds on my node, in fact regardless of what i put i normally see under 100K everywhere.

Do you have some very fast connections to your friends? If not what are your other connection settings?

However,
I have approx. 50 downloads "downloading" in frost and they are extremely slow,
hardly moving at all.
So I don't understand what is it doing with this enourmous amount of data it
downloads, besides using up my bandwidth limit.

The downloads via freenet take time due to latency, not really due to speed. What that means is that Freenet takes some time to find the data on the network (it is improving, but still not perfect). So most of the time you are not actually downloading data for your files.

Since it's downloading approx. 4 times as much as uploading every second,
and the files in my queue are hardly moving at all
What happens to the 3 out of 4 units which I did not request and are not being
relayed to someone else?

What is the payload percentage? You can see that on the stats page.
But i have actually wondered something like that myself. I have the synchronous connection, thus my limits are the same, and i always get slightly more outgoing than incoming traffic, but everybody else seems to be reporting it other way around.

Is it just constantly rewriting the datastore? This doesn't seem very efficient.

I understand that this may be necessary to cover what is actually downloaded,
However, it took about 10 minutes to download the latest frost (on priority 0)
at the rate of 500 k/sec this should
have been done in 11 seconds if it was the regular internet. In contrast freenet
downloaded approx. 55 times the amount of data
just to get this file. Isn't this way too excessive ? I would think 5-10 times
is more than enough to cover your tracks.

Also, I don't understand why freenet refuses to decode many files for minutes or
hours even after it's got 100%. It's totally unpredictable
when a file at 100% will actually decode. I'm kind of suprised this hasn't been
fixed already.
Any chance you could fix this?

And also, could someone explain the system of priorities and what's the ideal
number of threads to be concurrently downloading?
It would be great to hear something about tweaking freenet for best performance.

Thanks a lot and sorry about the many questions

Tried to answer to the best of my ability. Hopefully somebody else will come along and fill in the rest of the blanks.

               - Volodya

--
http://freedom.libsyn.com/     Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast

 "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin