> Am I doing something wrong?

You have to install the signer's public key.

I strongly agree, this should be documented step by step because it's very
important.
To get mr. Toseland's latest key run this:

gpg --recv-keys 75941D88

Then you will have the chance to verify the signature.

Some explanation: to verify a "real" (read: pen) signature you have to know
how the original signature looks like.
With public key cryptography things works in a different (and unusual) way,
but still; you have to know the public key of the signer to check that the
signature is valid.

I found his public key searching for his name in the pgp.mit.edu keyserver:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=matthew+toseland&op=index

The email used is the one he uses to participate in this mailing list (
t...@ampibian.dyndns.org) and the comment says "2010-2015 key". So, I
thought, "it must be that one", and it is. (Yes, key can and in some cases
should expire).

So. With that command you can download and import his key from a server with
the GPG utility. Then you can verify the signature.
GPG will tell you that the signature is valid, but will still warn you;
since the trust you put into the key is upon you. I mean: who's assuring
that the key you got is REALLY mister Toseland's?

But, as he said, you can't have a guarantee of that unless you use a costy
X.509 certificate. So there's no escape. Still, checking a signature made
with a self signed key is by far more secure that not doing any verify at
all.

Cheers,
--
Fabio