On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:14:14 +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:

> > > Was your upstream saturated at the time due to e.g. external
> > > pressure?
> >
> > Nope. It might have started the flood -- I'll do some more testing,
> > but during the flood the connection was only minimally being used.
> > (I really don't know why my peers will still dumping so much data
> > onto my node -- perhaps it was in their to-send queues? Perhaps
> > there is a bug, and they didn't get my slow-down traffic messages?)
>
> What slow down messages?
>
> Are you saying that the peers are actually doing exactly what the
> node is asking of them, i.e. sending useful data? I.e. it's not a
> problem with constant resends?

How does one differentiate between a resend and useful data? Does the
value in the /stats page, or on the peer-list page indicate useful
data? If so, it is steadily rising, even when the peer is backed off,
even when my downstream is peaked at FIVE TIMES my downstream limit :p
completely saturating my downstream (upstream is always generally
low-traffic), for many (~5+) minutes.