On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:52:40 +0200, Wolfram Goetz wrote:
> > Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. April 2014 um 04:10 Uhr
> > Von: "Dennis New" <denn...@dennisn.linuxd.org>
> > An: support@freenetproject.org
> > Cc: "Wolfram Goetz" <wolfram.go...@gmx.de>
> > Betreff: Re: [freenet-support] 3TiB-Node: Installation fails with
> > Java out of memory error
> >
> > On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:05:31 +0200, Wolfram Goetz wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > I had successfully run a 400GiB-Node in a Windows 7 x64
> > > environment, running as a virtual machine in VirtualBox with 6GB
> > > RAM. Now I moved the whole installation to a larger harddisk and
> > > tried to increase the datastore size to 3TiB. This results in a
> > > java out of memory error. This is from my wrapper.log:
> > >
> > > INFO   | jvm 1    | 2014/04/14 17:08:17 | Initializing SSK
> > > Datastore (46033289 keys)
> > > INFO   | jvm 1    | 2014/04/14 17:08:17 | WrapperManager Error:
> > > Error in WrapperListener.start callback.
> > > java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space STATUS | wrapper  |
> > > 2014/04/14 17:08:17 | Filter trigger matched. Restarting JVM.
> > > INFO   | jvm 1    | 2014/04/14 17:08:17 | WrapperManager Error:
> > > java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
> > > STATUS | wrapper  | 2014/04/14 17:08:17 | Filter trigger matched.
> > > Restarting JVM.
> > >
> > > After a few more error messages freenet shuts down completely.
> > > Same problem with a new & clean install of freenet.
> > >
> > > Memory settings from my wrapper conf:
> > >
> > > wrapper.java.initmemory=256
> > > wrapper.java.additional.4=-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
> > > wrapper.java.maxmemory=1024
> > >
> > > Did not work with the original settings, too. Any idea what I
> > > could do?
> >
> > Perhaps try increasing your MaxPermSize, to something like 500M or
> > so? And check (in fproxy's Statistics page) that you aren't
> > reaching your 1gig maxmemory, which should probably be enough?
>
> Thanks for the answer. Played around with the settings on a fresh
> freenet install, but I do not really know what I'm doing... This
> seems to work more or less:
>
> wrapper.java.initmemory=60 (default)
> wrapper.java.additional.4=256

I'm pretty sure that's invalid and being ignored. It's supposed to be
additional command line arguments that you would pass to "java"... i.e.
they should start with a dash (-).

> wrapper.java.maxmemory=1536

That's probably what fixed things. Before you were using 1gig. Now
it's using 1.3gig.

> On the stats page, 1,45 GiB are allocated for Java and 1,30 GiB are
> in use. I left alone the MaxPermSize setting, which seems to point to
> another variable:
>
> MaxPermSize=wrapper.app.parameter.1=freenet.ini

This also seems to be an invalid line. I think all the lines in the
wrapper.conf should start with "wrapper.*". Moreoever, freenet.ini does
not / should not mention these lower level jvm settings (like
MaxPermSize). It might be worthwhile to paste your wrapper.conf file to
see if there's other bogus stuff.

> Still testing, had some additional stability problems because
> VirtualBox seems to have problems (BSODs with hardware virtualization
> and two CPUs in den VM). I successfully started a copy of the
> original 400GiB node and set the datastore size to 3000GiB. But after
> half an hour it still says "Datastore(CHK-cache) resize in progress:
> 0/6137772". Hmmm. I'll check back later.

That sounds normal for datastore resizing.