I'm not a Mac user myself, but people have mentioned issues with
the java detection on Macs before.

On March 29th, Eric said "FWIW I think it would be useful on the wiki to
merely suggest OS X users just install the jdk and the jar" (Note he
said jdk, and not jre.)

And Dsoslglece said "I followed your advice and downloaded jdk,
but again I used the jar installer (not the
"new_installer_offline_1467"), and it worked fine. And now everyting is
OK and I'm not asked for java update anymore"

They also referred to this bug, which might be relevant:
https://bugs.freenetproject.org/view.php?id=3093