On 10/27/2015 09:53 AM, bob.tro...@pirateparty.ca wrote:
> I would like to investigate using freenet or a variant hacked by me to
> keep some of my Pirate Party communications at least nominally secure.
>
> I downloaded a binary installation file from the site, but was unable to
> find an MD5 hash associated with it. File listing (in Windows) is as
> following:
>
> 10/26/2015  11:18 PM        18,053,944 FreenetInstaller-1470.exe
>
> The MD5 hash is d47b1494564e98a5d772477fb8967828 as calculated by my own
> MD5 utility and checked by onlinemd5.com
> (D47B1494564E98A5D772477FB8967828).
>
> I found a hash for a file with the same name on another site, but that
> hash differs from the one from my file. Is that the correct md5 hash for
> that file?

The correct hash for the updated installer is the one you observed -
d47b1494564e98a5d772477fb8967828. The Windows installer was updated on
October 25th to include new translations. [0] The correct hash for the
initial release of the installer is 7053ba4bbf0ae9f833406ae43d1d1422.

> Do you have some other way of validating a file or is perhaps the
> typical way of getting the files on freenet itself?

There are GPG signatures, but they aren't yet visible alongside the
download links. Your question has prompted me to realize that the
signature for the updated installer wasn't published, so I'll need to
make changes to the Windows installer release scripts. For now I'll
attach it.

The initial release of the build 1470 installer and its signature can be
found here:

https://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/installer/
https://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/installer/FreenetInstaller-1470.exe
https://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/installer/FreenetInstaller-1470.exe.sig

To get the installer through Freenet see the "You can find the latest
Windows installer" part on the Friends > Add a Friend page.

- Steve

[0] https://freenetproject.org/news.html#20151025