Hi,

This is largely an issue with the way Java currently works on Mac OS X, but
it's easy to solve.

You'll need to install Apple's Java system package [1] as well as Oracle's
Java 8 package (which you probably already have). For the moment, some Java
applications don't quite work properly without both. Then you should have
no trouble installing Freenet wherever you like on your Mac, and it will
still run with the most current version of Oracle Java that you have
installed.

I'm working on a replacement for our Freenet installer that will avoid
issues like this in the future, however it hasn't been released yet. Sorry
for the trouble!

[1] https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US