At 03:52 a.m. 17/12/2005, I wrote:
>My earlier question is a good start but I think in Freenet 0.7 it would be
>good if a simple scheduler
>is implemented. This should allow different configs to be used at different
>time. This would mean that
>we can specificy different bandwidth limits at different times. Since FreeNet
>is supposed to run all
>the time, this will be useful for people with slow connections, shared
>connections and different data
>charges for different times. I hope you consider this suggestion for FreeNet
>0.7

Good news again. I found a way to do what I want. I thought Freenet does not
respond to changes in the config file unless you restart. It turns out it does,
at least for speed. So you can use a batch file to do what I want if you create
2 different config file. For example to slow down:

if exist freenet.ini.normal goto sloweddown
ren freenet.ini freenet.ini.normal
ren freenet.ini.slowspeed freenet.ini
goto sloweddown
:sloweddown

Then you can create another batch file to return to normal speed.. Then using
Windows task scheduler you can schedule the batch files to run when you want.
This works fine provided Freenet responds to changes in the config file (which
0.5 does). If not, I guess a restart commandline option would be sufficient.
However the disadvantage with this method is that it requires you to maintain
two config files so you need to make sure any changes in one are made in the
other.

I guess it is not so important for a Freenet scheduler then even if useful. For
me, the bigger issue now is FUQID. I change the number of threads because
otherwise it is using too many when I slow down. But the problem is, there is
no way to schedule. I don't know if it responds to changes in the config file
but the config file stores info on the current ul and dl so you cannot use it
the way I do above. I also don't know if it responds to changes in config file
while active and if not, I guess you have restart which is even worse since you
need to stop. Stopping FUQID is quite difficult since you need to tell it to
deactivate but there is no command line option I think and taskkill doesn't do
anything. Only way is a force which of course is ungraceful. I guess this is OT
but unfortunately, the biggest problem now is FUQID for me. If FUQID have
command line options to change threads and similar it would be very good.
Currently only way I can think of is using macros which is very ugly.