freenetwork at ... <freenetwork at ...> writes:

-- snip --
> The freenet node runs with the name "javaw.exe". But if you don't know the
exact PID, simply killing by name
> might affect other java programs running as they all have the same process
name (java or javaw).
> "freenet.exe" is just the bunnyapp

Yeah, but the process tree is freenet.exe -> Flaunch.exe -> javaw. Sysinternals
pskill, at least, has the ability to kill a process and all its "descendants"
(with the -t switch), so provided they are considered descendant processes you
should be able to kill freenet.exe and take the rest of freenet (only) with it.

> (Yes, this confusion arises quite often but nobody cares to give this,
> IMHO totally superfluous (hopefully 0.7 comes without all these stupid
extra-programs), app a proper name).

I don't see how it's superfluous .. it provides an indication of freenet's
status, and easy access to fproxy and logs. It's in straight C so it's not like
its using a significant amount of resources either. The program we should hope
to ultimately retire IMO is NodeConfig, which isn't very user friendly, in
favour of an fproxy web configuration page. IIRC Matthew has said that such a
thing is intended.

Bob