Anonymous <BigappleRemailer at ...> writes:

> I've currently got build 5106 and it's been working good on my
> (underpowered) win98Se machine for a while now.  I happened to be browsing
> the snapshot downloads and ran across this:
>
> http://freenetproject.org/snapshots/freenet-0.7-prealpha-20051216-305.jar
>
> (freenet-0.7-prealpha-20051216-305.jar         16-Dec-2005 07:13   610k)

0.7 has *not* been released yet, like the filename says it's still in alpha, but
testers are very much needed.

The above isn't the newest build anyway, this one is :
http://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/freenet-cvs-snapshot.jar

> What is the procedure for converting from 5106 to the new 0.7 build?  Is it
> just a matter of drop-in replacement of the freenet.jar file?

Nope, it's fundamentally different in many ways and not finished. This means it
needs its own directory and at the moment only has a primitive command line
interface, because FCP and fproxy aren't implemented yet. (It's much faster than
0.5 on the current network, but the 0.7 test net is tiny.)

It's straightforward to set up a 0.7 node in most cases, however you effectively
have to be in #freenet-alphatest on IRC to help test it (because it's a darknet)
and you must keep up to date with the frequently updated snapshot.

See also, IRC logs: http://emu.freenetproject.org/irc/
Install guide: http://wiki.freenetproject.org/FreenetAlphatestNodeInstallation

Bob