> So, I've got an old box sitting here - 666 Celeron / 256M / 60G
> I'd like to put linux on it & run it as a stand alone freenet box.
> Any suggestions on what flavor of linux would be easiest to set up freenet
> on?(remember it's ONLY for freenet)

The flavor is not that important. Just go for an easy to install
distro.

Please keep in mind that you also have to install Java Runtime
Environment: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

> Any other things I'm going to need to set up / know?
> Is there a readable faq/manual somewhere?

Yes. For every distro there are howto's (manuals).

> Anybody willing to help off list (via email or irc)

Just post your questions here. Other people could learn a lot from you
and others ;)

> After OS & Swap, how much of the remaining drive space would it be ok to
> dedicate to freenet?
> Split temp & store 50/50?

No, you don't have to do 50/50. 1024MB swap-space is already to much.
Much installers can do it for you or - at lease - give hints.

> Does java for linux behave any better?

I don't know. It works for me :)

> Any tricks to configuring mainport.bindAddress & mainport.allowedHosts?

It works the same.

> What about fuqid & frost?

Frost runs out of the box. For Fuqid you'll need wine
[http://www.winehq.com/]. I am using CrossOver Office
[http://www.codeweavers.com/].

> You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick
> is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Just try. Don't give up to quick. There are a lot of helpful docs like
howto's and things like forums ;)

Good luck!