> In 1009 and before i had 30K outgoing bandwidth limit and i
> was running bit torrent at the
> same time. I had hard drive access going through the roof,
> and thrashing sometimes.
> Yet, i had no or sometimes 1 backed off node.
>
> Now, with 1011. I just killed every application that uses
> much memory or network. I have
> no thrashing, and CPU stopped going to 100%, but now all the
> nodes are backed off,
> sometimes to the extent of no longer being connected. My ping
> time also goes through the roof.

I have this problem too.

The  box was thrashing a bit, so I added 512mb to the machine and set
freenet 0.7 to use 256mb (was on the default of 128mb before).

    * Used Java memory: 207 MiB
    * Allocated Java memory: 254 MiB
    * Maximum Java memory: 254 MiB
    * Available CPUs: 1
    * Running threads: 408
    * JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
    * JVM Version: 1.5.0_09-b01
    * OS Name: Windows 2000
    * OS Version: 5.0
    * OS Architecture: x86

At the moment I've got the following:
    * Connected: 1
    * Backed off: 6
    * Disconnected: 13

All backed  off reasons are "ForwardRejectedOverload"

nodeUptime: 6d4h

    * Total Output: 9.88 GiB (19.3 KiBps)
    * Payload Output: 7.53 GiB (14.7 KiBps) (76%)
    * Total Input: 7.62 GiB (14.9 KiBps)
    * Output Rate: 24.4 KiBps (of 30.0 KiBps)
    * Input Rate: 18.9 KiBps (of 120 KiBps)

So it does seen to be working, which is fine, but  as  Volodya  says, these
"backed off" messages didn't happen  that often in previous versions.