On Tuesday, July 3, 2007 at 6:19:32 PM
in Message <JKMM4K$5736793FA20A526008E44886AC7E25B0 at aliceadsl.fr>, Philippe
wrote:

> Good morning,
> I'm trying to install Freenet 0.7 on a PC with Win98 SE.

> The Windows installer doesn't  work, accordingly to the
> statment in the page http://freenetproject.org/download.html
> (error message: "The jar-file 'install.jar' could not be
> executed").

> I've tried to launch Freenet "directly" from Java (JRE
> version 1.5) following NextGen instructions from the post
> https://bugs.freenetproject.org/view.php?id=994:
> "java -cp freenet-stable-latest.jar;freenet-ext.jar
> freenet.node.NodeStarter", but I get the error message:
>  "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> freenet/node/NodeStarter".

> What could I do ?

> Thank you by advance for your answer.

here's how I did it once upon a time:

You need Java version 1.5 or 1.6
type "java -version" in a console and watch the output

1) Look on this page in your web browser:
http://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/

The current build will have a name formatted like this:
freenet-r#####-snapshot.jar  The higher numbers are the most recent builds

You'll also need this file:

http://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/freenet-ext.jar

2) put 'em both in whatever directory you want freenet to run from.

3) rename "freenet-r#####-snapshot.jar" to "freenet.jar"

4) use this command line (I put it in a batch file)

java -cp freenet.jar;freenet-ext.jar;%CLASSPATH%;. freenet.node.Node

Running this under win98se works but there will be no wrapper and it won't
auto update so you'll have to do that manually.  Everything else works
normally.  To get frost, Jsite, Fuqid or other things going follow their
install directions.

in Him,
 -Ed

- --
The best way to get past my spam filter is to use pgp or
gnupg to encrypt your Mail to me with
RSA Key ID: 0x84D46604
(fingerprint: DA03 1EA4 7F5D DF74 B89F  E871 757E 627C 84D4 6604)
This key can be found on public keyservers such as
http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
http://blog.peculiarplace.com/
http://comfortfantasies.purrfectdomains.com/
http://comments.lurasbookcase.com/
http://dilithium.purrfectdomains.com/
http://iamnotahamster.peculiarplace.com/
http://offthecuff.lurasbookcase.com/
http://topshelf.lurasbookcase.com/
http://shopper.purrfectdomains.com/
http://lurasbookcase.com/
http://peculiarplace.com/
 / \
 \ /   Join the ASCII-Ribbon Campaign to Stamp Out HTML Email !
 / \