I tried that technique last night, and while I did wake the battery
up, it was not enough to start the phone.

What I did:
1) get 4 1.2v AA batteries in series with a resistor and a LED (for
visual confirmation and current limiting)
2) plug the 4.8v in parallel with the FR battery (+ with +, - with -)
this lighted up the LED
3) wait 2-3 minutes
4) try to plug the led + resistor between the FR terminals: very faint
light, but OK
5) plug the FR in my computer, put the battery in, power up the NAND
boot menu
6) cycle the menu items for a few seconds

result: the FR shuts down while I cycle the menu.

Any suggestions?

François