David, You are definately on to something with the IDE channels. I
have PFsense running just fine on my production box (Compaq) but I
have been having a heck of a time getting it installed on a particular
test machine (white box). I then started playing with FreeBSD, PC-BSD
and DesktopBSD and none of them would install on my machine so I
figured it was my box and left it alone for a while. Now that you
mentioned it the CD is on the secondary IDE channel and the HD is on
the primary channel. I'm gonna play tonight and see. I'll keep the
list updated. Many people I know that build PC's always set the HD's
on the primary channel and the CD' on the secondary. might be a common
thing