Alright, we just reproduced this problem in house (one of the devs).

However, I'm still not sure whats causing it, but I do have a
workaround that should prevent this from happening again.

Everyone if you can go to a shell (option 8, and issue):

chmod a-w /boot/loader.rc
chflags schg /boot/loader.rc

If the file gets trashed again then we have some type of MAJOR kernel
issue going on.

Scott