At 04:12 PM 9/24/2005, you wrote:
Dan Swartzendruber wrote:

At 09:07 PM 9/23/2005, you wrote:

Oh, I understood you.

In that case, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. This platform deliberately has the capability of running various services on it (unlike m0n0wall.) If someone has the CPU power and RAM to run things like squid and clamav already, I really fail to see how making that service available to the inside MTA causes a realistic chance of DoS unless the MTA is grossly misconfigured.

both of you arguing are right and wrong.  :)

In theory, is this a great idea? No. If you have the resources, it's certainly best to segregate services appropriately. At work, I would never integrate AV and the firewall, or IDS/IPS, or any of the many other things that pfsense either allows now or will allow in the future. But I do side jobs for companies whose annual revenues are less than our IT budget at work, and the reality is in those circumstances, if it's going to be done at all it will have to be integrated. The alternative is to not have it at all (whatever "it" might be that you're running on your firewall that you wouldn't normally want to run on your firewall). At a company with 20 or less users (likely > 20 in many scenarios), you can't segregate things appropriately because you'd end up with an unaffordable ratio of servers to users. In some of those environments with 3-5 users, you'd end up with more servers than users. That's obviously not feasible to setup and maintain in most every environment. With things like this, there is no clear cut "do it" or "don't do it" in the real world. It depends on the level of risk inherent in the given environment, the risk tolerance in the environment, the cost of the associated risks, how much downtime costs, and the amount of money the company can afford to spend on IT. If, for example, you get flooded with viruses and it takes down your firewall, well I'd rather see that than have the viruses happily passed along. <insert similar scenario for any other service running on the firewall that shouldn't typically run on a firewall> Usually better to have it in a place that isn't ideal than to not have it at all.

I was probably not clear then. I understand what you're saying (and agree.) I just didn't appreciate people making cheap shots about hobbyists and shooting oneself in the foot.