I have been installing 3 Nexcom 1041c with 80GB WD HDDs today and was running
into the odd Installationproblem several people have reported. I've been
playing around with a lot of different things to make this work and here is
what solved the issue for me:

1. Set your HDD mode in BIOS to LBA (don't use "auto", the detected geometry is
different if it is set to auto and it fails; this was an award bios)
2. In the installation process uncheck "packet mode" (with checked packet mode
I ended up with kernel errors on bootup from hdd)

Some other remarks when installaing a Nexcom 1041c:

Bios:
- enable the serial assistent to stay after boot (this way you have everything
at the serial console after enabling com1 in the webgui later)
- set the powersupply type from "at" to "atx" or the shutdown event won't be
able to power down the machine

pfSense installation:
- plug in/replug a usb-keyboard when asked for configuring VLANs (no need to
attach the ps2-y-cable to the location where you hardly can attach it with the
board inside the case) and install from the livecd with monitor/usb-keyboard
- after bootup from hdd enable serial console at system>advanced in the webgui

With these settings/installprocedures the Nexcom 1041c is a great platform to
run pfSense on!

Holger