It shouldn't be very had if he wants the pfsense machine to do all the work.
A simple shell script using grep and msmtp would work.  It could be setup in
a couple of minutes.  Not sure if msmtp is part of the default freebsd but
would not be hard to compile at worst.  It would be a great way to implement
SMTP support from pfsense in general.  It is small and simple to use.

Robert