Steve Harman wrote:
As it turns out GBit is something we need so I'd be interested if Scott has any comment on support of GBit NICs (Intel or otherwise).

Look at:

Intel PWLA8492MT (dual port)
Intel PWLA8494MT (quad port)

those should be very common and easy to come by, and will work. I didn't say cheap though. :) They aren't too horribly expensive, dual port is about $250 USD, quad about $400 USD (from a quick Froogle search, you can probably find better than that). Heck of a lot more expensive than 2 or 4 individual gig NIC's though.