Yikes, we certainly never tested for satellite latencies.  The fping
command line we use is:
/usr/local/sbin/fping -B1.5 -t400 -r3 -q
This should give us successive tries of:
400ms timeout
600ms timeout
900ms timeout
1350ms timeout

I'll have to check what the fping exit code is if it's missing one of
it's pings.  It does look like the logic changed a hair (incorrectly I
believe) from the original code, it's entirely possible that a bug was
introduced.

Do me a favor, run this at your command line.

/usr/local/sbin/fping -B 1.5 -t400 -r3 <your monitor IP here>
echo $?

--Bill