From: Chris Buechler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:42 AM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] DHCP Server Issues

Dimitri Rodis wrote:

> Two things I've noticed in pfSense 1.2 release:
>
> 1. The subnet mask in the scope settings for DHCP keeps reverting back

> to "32". At one point, the DHCP server would not start until I went
> through all of my DHCP scopes (3 interfaces) and reset the subnet
> masks appropriately. It seems to stick in the config file, but the GUI

> is not picking the setting back up out of the config-so if someone
> just goes to say, change the DNS server field and hits save, all of a
> sudden your mask gets changed to a /32.

That must be OLSR related, I've never seen nor heard of that. I don't
know that anybody is actually using OLSR. If you disable OLSR does that
stop?

> 2. I enabled OLSR (but did not bind it to any of the interfaces
> because I don't actually **need** OLSR) because I need a DHCP Server
> on my WAN interface. I noticed in the php code for the DHCP pages that

> enabling OLSR would "turn on" DHCP for the WAN interface. However,
> DHCP is not binding to the WAN interface according to the DHCP log-it
> is only binding to my OPT1 and OPT2 interfaces. (There are 4
> interfaces in the machine total).

This might be related to other OLSR issues. We haven't had a DHCP server

bug in years, so I can only assume that's likely the case.

We don't let DHCP run on WAN for obvious reasons, though maybe we need a

hidden config option to allow this since it is useful in some
circumstances. Can you submit a feature request ticket at
http://cvstrac.pfsense.org ?